How to Create a Link in Website Tonight
Adding a link to Website Tonight is easy, but first you need to decide what kind of link you want to create. When creating your link you will be presented with these options:
|No Link||Selecting this option will remove the link.|
|Opens the email program (usually Microsoft Outlook) installed on the user’s computer and fills in the “To” field with the email address you choose. If the user does not have an email program installed on their computer this type of link will prompt them to install one.|
|URL||Links to a webpage or other type of file on another website. Instructions for creating this type of link are below.|
|Page||Links to another webpage in the same Website Tonight project. Instructions for creating this type of link are below.|
|Upload||Downloads a file that you select after you upload it to Website Tonight, such as a Word document or PDF. Click here for more information and instructions for adding upload links / download links.|
|Anchor||Jumps to a specific place on a page within your website. Click here for more information and instructions for adding anchor links.|
|No Follow||Check this box if you want to link to something that you do not necessarily endorse. This will tell the search engines not to pass any “link juice” or “backlink credit” through the link. What’s “link juice” and why does it matter? Click here to learn about link building.|
in a new window
|Check this box if you want the link to open in a new window when the user clicks on it. A good rule of thumb is to check this box any time the link goes to something outside of your website and not to check it if its an internal link, but ultimately its up to you.|
Instructions for adding Email, URL, or Page Links
- Log in to your Website Tonight account.
- Go to the page you where the new link will be added.
- Click on the content block you want to add the link to, so that it is in edit mode.
- (If needed) type the text or insert the image you want to use for your link.
- Use your mouse to highlight the text or image you want to turn into a link. For example, if you wrote “click here to see another cool website” and you only want “cool website” to be the link then click your mouse and drag over the words “cool website” so that only those words (no blank spaces) are highlighted.
- Click the Create link icon (upper left – to the right of the bold and italic icons).
- Click the dot next to the type of link you are trying to create.
- E-mail – enter the email address you want the user to send email to.
- URL – enter the URL (web address) you want to link to.
- Page – select the page from your Website Tonight project you want to link to.
- Upload – read the upload / download link instructions instead.
- Anchor – read the anchor link instructions instead.
“A hyperlink (or link) is a word, group of words, or image that you can click on to jump to a new document or a new section within the current document.” ~ definition by W3schools.com