Social Network Links
Creating social network links on your website is easy and it allows you to market your website to thousands of potential customers for free. Take the buttons at the bottom of every article throughout this website for example. With them you can print the article you are viewing, email it to a friend, or add links to our website directly from some of the most popular social networks (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, etc).
For social networks where you create a public profile you typically just need to link to your profile. You can do this with a text or image link. Image links are often more appealing.
Find Your Social Network URL
The first thing you need to know is the URL to your profile with the social network.
- Go to your profile (Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, etc).
- Copy the URL from the address bar at the top of the screen (example below).
Social Network Icons
The second thing you need to make a social network link is the icon. There are hundreds of free social networking icons available online. To find them simply search Google for “Free Social Networking Icons” or click here. Once you find the icons you want to use download them to your computer and then you are ready to create a social networking link. Just make sure that the set you download has an icon for each of the social networks that you want to use.
Create a Social Network Link
- Login to Website Tonight
- Navigate to the page where you want the social network icons to appear.
- Click on the content block you want the social network icons to be in, so that you can type in the content block. (This is called “edit mode”).
- Make sure the Insert tab is selected (top center).
- Hover over the Images icon (top center).
- Select Images from the drop down menu (this will cause a popup window to appear).
- Select the Uploads tab from the top center of the popup window.
- Click Browse and find the image on your computer.
- Click Upload
Now the image you are going to use for your social networking button is uploaded to your Website Tonight, but it’s still not on your website. At this point there should still be a popup window on your screen. To insert the image…
- Check the box to the upper right of the image you uploaded.
- Click Okay
The image should now be showing in your content block, but it’s still just an image and not a link to your social network profile.
- Use your mouse to click on the image.
- Make sure the Options tab is selected (top center of screen).
- Click the Create Link icon (upper left).
- Check URL from the left hand side of the popup window.
- Paste your social network profile URL
- Click the Okay button in the bottom right of the popup.
That’s it, you’re done! You now have a social network icon on your Website Tonight website.